Last night a group of like minded supporters met to discuss the events that have unfolded since the announcement by Chelsea Football Club (not CPO!) that a GM had been called for the 27th October where a vote would be had on the proposal for the club to buy back the freehold of the ground.
Over the course of the last week, tentative discussions between individuals via the medium of social networking have combined with supporters’ groups and CPO shareholders to form an umbrella group aiming to represent the interests of all like-minded Chelsea fans, whether they be Pitch Owners or not, and the meeting last night was an initial gathering to determine a way forward amongst those who have misgivings about not only giving Chelsea FC carte blanche to remove the club from Stamford Bridge without consulting the fans, but those who are concerned that the Board of Chelsea Pitch Owners are not truly independent of the club.
During the discussions it was clear that there were varying opinions even within the group regarding what was best long term for the future of Chelsea football club – whether that would be to remain at Stamford Bridge or to eventually move to a new stadium, but one thing we were all agreed on was that in the absence of consultation prior to the vote by CPO directors and a general lack of information being put forward by the club, that a NO vote in the first instance was the only way to go.
What we are hoping is that a NO vote would then allow for all CPO shareholders to be able to take part (should they so wish) in a proper consultative process. We would then also petition the club to provide additional information regarding the long term strategy and most pointedly, potential site, of a new stadium (should that be the objective). Should a new site be the result we would also insist that the CPO own the freehold there with similar protections for the long-term future of the club.
CPO shareholders could then make an informed decision with all the facts before them. It would also “encourage” the club to not only consult with the supporters, but be obliged to implement aspects which fans feel are most important – whether they be stadium design, ticket prices, family facilities etc.
So what was agreed as the way forward?
We agreed to pursue a number of legal angles which we felt either needed clarification or further investigation – to this end we are currently taking advice.
We also agreed to reach out to any existing shareholders, and ask people to get in touch with any shareholders that they know – we need every vote. Each of our no votes is worth 3 yes votes, so every vote really does count (we need 26% of the vote to win).
Those with the technical know-how are currently working to create a website that will provide information on the Say No CPO campaign – we hope to have this up within 48 hours and it will form the focus for our campaign.
The media will also be targeted to channel the campaign to those with little/no access to the internet. In addition, information will be sent out to all Chelsea blogs/fanzines/websites and Podcasts, so keep checking for latest campaign updates.
Above all, we are actively seeking dialogue with the club and CPO directors in an attempt to move things forward following a constructive initial meeting which took place with Bruce Buck last week. We have another meeting scheduled with him later this week and hope to meet with Ron Gourlay next week.
This is just the first of a series of updates in the run-up to the meeting on 27th October, and we will keep you updated of developments as they occur.
Additionally you will be able to follow the #SayNoCPO developments on Twitter on the @SayNoCPO timeline from tomorrow onwards.
If you would like more information or you would like to get involved, please e-mail email@example.com
Posted by Trizia